Change can be scary, especially when it’s something as big as the NDIS. It has the potential to be life-changing in a positive way, but it’s rational to fear the unknown and to wonder whether there is a chance you could be worse off under the NDIS.
Centacare’s Kym McCallum regularly speaks to people who are going through the NDIS process and she understands why people have concerns.
“They have worked so hard to get where they are, sometimes for decades and don’t want to risk the chance of losing this hard fought support,” said Kym.
“The process can also be intimidating, having to complete a range of paperwork, retelling your story and making sure that you cover off everything in your planning meeting”.
If you are feeling worried, keep the following important things in mind.
- The NDIS is a positive change. The first thing is to recognise that this is an important initiative and has the potential to make a change to the lives of people with a disability and our whole community, for the better.
- Embrace the NDIS. It won’t be possible to put the ‘NDIS genie back in the bottle’ and so it will help if you work with the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) to make sure you get the best outcome.
- Don’t be shy. This is your chance to let the NDIA know what you need to achieve your goals. Be confident to speak up at your planning meeting. Don’t forget you can take a friend or representative along with you.
- Be prepared. For example, completing the Centacare pre-planning booklet will help give you peace of mind that you have got things covered.
- Ask for help – organisations such as Centacare can support you through the process.
Kym has supported a number of people through the NDIS process and experienced some great outcomes for clients.
“It has been a pleasure working with families on their NDIS pre-planning and seeing them come out the other side with a plan that will make a positive difference to their life.”
For assistance with your NDIS pre-planning contact us on 1300 236 822.