Murri Ministry provides pastoral and spiritual assistance consistent with Aboriginal culture and tradition.
Murri Ministry was formed in 1993 to respond to the spiritual needs of the Aboriginal community, by establishing an Aboriginal Catholic Ministry within the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Brisbane.
The vision of Murri Ministry is expressed through the Gospel of Jesus, spirituality and culture, care and compassion, social justice, history, faith and action, effective teamwork and positive relationships with non-Indigenous people.
“You are called to remember the past, to be faithful to your worthy traditions and to adapt your living culture whenever this is required by your own needs.”
Pope John Paul II – Alice Springs – 29 November 1986.
Our Murri Ministry also assists in:
- community liaison that includes home visitations and referrals to other agencies
- empowering local Indigenous communities
- sacramental preparation for baptisms, Eucharist and weddings
- preparation of funerals and memorial services
- furthering reconciliation among all Australians through workshops and community celebrations
- social justice and advocacy
- racism and cultural awareness raising
- supporting Indigenous youth by promoting leadership skills, cultural identity and enhancing self-esteem.
Prayer of the Aboriginal People
We acknowledge and pay respect to the traditional owners, the Turrbal people, the Jagera people, Ugarapul People, Yuggera People and the elders both past and present, on whose land we walk, we work and we live.