Update on our response to COVID-19
As part of the Archdiocese of Brisbane, Centacare Community Services continues to monitor the development of COVID-19. We continue to follow advice from public health authorities and are taking all reasonable and appropriate steps to support the safety, health and wellbeing of our clients, employees and volunteers.
In line with current advice to limit contact between people as an important way to minimise the spread of COVID-19, the following changes will be made in our services, effective Monday 23 March:
- All community centres (respite centres, day centres, learning and leisure centres) will close
- All Centacare-organised group outings and community-based activities will cease
- We will no longer offer short-term accommodation, except where we have a single client receiving 1:1 support in their own home
- Centacare-organised outings and community-based activities operating out of Supported Independent Living accommodation will cease.
- Our transport services will be limited to providing individual transport only, where this is essential to the health and wellbeing of the client.
All other services, including the support we provide to people in their own homes, will continue at this time. At this stage we can’t advise when normal services will resume.
We understand that our services form a vital part of our clients’ lives and we are seeking to adapt our resourcing and way of working so we can support our clients as much as possible. We are asking for patience and understanding if we are required to make changes to appointment times and the workers providing support to our clients as we seek to work through this process.
Centacare representatives are contacting all of our clients in the coming days to provide more information about their services. At this time, we will endeavour to answer any questions they may have.
We are asking for our clients support to help us minimise the impact and spread of viruses in our community. Should they develop flu-like symptoms such as a fever, coughing, sore throat, fatigue or shortness of breath, we ask that they please take the following actions:
- if they have an appointment scheduled with Centacare, please contact us in advance to discuss your options on 1300 236 822
- avoid contact with others by staying more than 1.5 metres away
- seek advice by contacting your local GP, 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) or the 24/7 national hotline on 1800 020 080.
We will continue to monitor the evolving COVID-19 situation and adapt our services in line with advice from public health authorities. Additional restrictions and changes to services may need to be made over time and we appreciate your patience and understanding in this regard.
Please contact your Service Delivery Manager or 1300 236 822.