Caring can be a rewarding experience, but it can also be stressful and difficult at times. Many carers experience a range of feelings related to their caregiving role. Emotions like anger, depression, anxiety, loneliness, loss and grief are commonly experienced by carers.
While family and friends provide important support, carers may find it helpful to talk with a professional who is not emotionally involved in the caring relationship.
Our carer counselling program can connect you with a qualified professional who understands the challenges faced by carers.
We provide counselling services to help you:
- deal with overwhelming and confusing feelings
- make sense of your experiences as a carer
- work out your own needs and solve problems
- manage conflict, stress and other emotional factors that make caring more difficult
- build resilience and cope with change
- improve your mental, emotional and physical well-being
- provide support after the caring role ends.
Some Common Concerns
Sometimes the need to ‘talk it over’ is clear. At other times, you may feel confused, guilty or embarrassed about how you feel. Feelings like anger and/or resentment may arise in your caring situation. These feelings are normal.
Having an independent person to talk with can help you gain clarity around issues that concern you and impact on your wellbeing.
Finding time for counselling can be challenging, but it is well worth the effort. One of the first steps in caring for you is to make time to get some of your own needs met.
SHARE The Care program
SHARE The Care is a support program for carers of frail elderly people and people living with dementia and aims to support carers in 5 key areas:
- Providing person-focused services;
- Activities to promote the health and wellbeing of carers;
- Accessing assistance from agencies and other service providers;
- Offering respite options to encourage rest and relaxation; and
- Providing education to raise awareness, build knowledge and strengthen skills.
The Program team is committed to understanding a carer’s unique needs and preferences and tailoring a support program to match those needs. The program is flexible to suit individual requirements and participation is optional. Share the Care program is available at Centacare Enoggera and Centacare Darra. For more information please contact 1300 Centacare (1300 236 822).
Click below for more information: